Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene
FEP (fluorinated ethylene propylene) is chemically a copolymer of hexafluoropropylene and tetrafluoroethylene. It was developed as a melt processable version of PTFE. As such, it inherits all the chemical resistance and non-stick properties of PTFE whilst offering the ability to be extruded and thermoformed. Properties include
- Excellent thermal stability. Retains its properties in temperatures from -200 to 200 Deg C.
- Chemically inert to almost all chemicals and solvents.
- Retains its properties even after prolonged exposures to harsh chemical environments.
- Non-stick quality unsurpassed by any plastic.
- High transparency with good transmittance of UV rays and visible rays up to 98%.
- Long term weatherability. Excellent resistance to ozone, sunlight and weather.
- Lowest refractive index of all plastics provides low light reflection. Refractive index of water. Virtually invisible in water.
- Non toxic. FDA approved
- Non porous.
- Inert to body tissue.
- Electrical reliability. A low dielectric constant and high dielectric strength.
Trade Names for FEP resins include DuPont Teflon™, Daikin Neoflon™, Dyneon Hostaflon™, NiFlon, Sinoflon.
|Tensile Strength, 23°C||2100-3050
|Elongation at break, 23°C||240-300||%|
|Flexural Strength, 23°C||No break at flexure||D 790|
|Impact Strength, Izod||No break|
|Yield Strength At 23°C||1740
|Coefficient of Linear Expansion 20-100 °C||12 x 10-5||K-1||D 696|
|Dielectric Strength, short time, 2mm||MV m-1|
(does not track)
|Volume Resistivity, dry, @ 50% RH||>1018||ohm-cm||D 257|
|Surface Resistivity, @ 100% RH||1016||Ohm/sq||D 257|
|Dielectric Constant, 60 to 2 x 109 cps||2.1||ε||D150-81|
|Dielectric Strength||13-100||kV mm-1||D149|
|Dissipation Factor @ 60 Hz – 1 MHz||<0.0001||D150-81|
|Refractive Index||1.344||nD 25||D 542|
|Limiting Oxygen Index||95||% Oxygen||D 2863|
|Resistance to Weathering||Excellent|
|Coefficient of friction||0.27–0.67||D 1894|
Elan Vital UK
Elan Vital UK were looking to develop an apparatus to analyse breath with the aim of early detection of health problems. This necessitated the patient blowing into...