The Advantages of Using Teflon™ Coatings
There are a number of advantages of using Teflon™ coatings. Teflon™ is the best known brand of a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene called Polytetrafluoroethylene that has numerous applications.
The main advantages of using PTFE include:
- Low friction – this means that moving parts that are coated in PTFE will slide with ease, causing less heat, less wear & tear & reducing fire risk. PTFE’s coefficient of friction is the third-lowest of any known solid material
- Self-cleaning – as PTFE is a non-stick material, dirt won’t stick to it.
- Effective at a wide range of temperatures – PTFE can handle extremes of temperature that are suitable for many applications. It is effective at continuous surface temperatures up to 260 degrees centigrade and much higher temperatures can be sustained over shorter periods
- Long-term weatherability – PTFE is an extremely durable material. For example, it is not affected by ultraviolet and is resistant to oxidation, discoloration, and embrittlement
- Non-flammability – PTFE offers extraordinary resistance to high temperature and flames because it has a very high melting point and auto-ignition temperature
- Chemical resistance to corrosive reagents – this means that most chemicals don’t affect it & so it’s the go-to choice for most industries. It’s often used as a gasket where aggressive chemicals are used
- Great electrical properties – PTFE offers high electrical resistance and dielectric strength
Cameron Coatings in Cinderford offers Teflon™ coating services for a wide variety of applications. Many different industries have enjoyed the benefits of applying PTFE Spray Coatings
The main advantages of Teflon™ coating services are:
- It is non-stick
- It is heat-resistant and cold-resistant
- It is chemical-resistant
- It has great electrical properties
- A wide range of products can be coated in Teflon™
- It has an excellent service life, retaining its properties over a long period of time
- It has a low refractive index, meaning that the product’s visual appearance won’t change after light exposure
- It doesn’t biodegrade meaning it lasts
- It is completely resistant to water, making it a great barrier to water & resistant in all ranges of humidity
- It’s relatively inert: Teflon™ is inert to all solvents and chemicals agents except molten alkali metals and hot fluorine gas
Camerons can remove existing coatings and replace with PTFE based Spray Coatings. They are approved applicators of Chemours PTFE coatings and Whitford Plastics Xylan coatings. Applications include nuts, bolts and fasteners, cable supports, panels for conveyors in the Food Industry and Aerospace components.
If you have an application which you feel would benefit from a PTFE coating, please contact Chris at email@example.com